Tuesday, June 19, 2012

OxBow-Day 1 & 2

OxBow: Can be described as the idealistic summer camp you always hoped you would get to go to. This place reminds me of the movie The Parent Trap. Already, I have become attached to this place of wonder. We drove on a paved road that outlined the side of the river, which was filled of small summer homes and boats. Not knowing exactly where to continue in order to get to OxBow we followed the road that said Dead End. Moki read the instructions as of how to get there and April repeated them in a majestic tone, “Where one road ends, another road begins.” She said it as if this would be her new life model and again I found myself loving the thought patterns of great artists. Once the paved road ended and the dirt road began we followed the winding path through tall thin trees to the OxBow parking lot. There we hulled out our bags and lugged them to the Inn where we would register. The Inn is white with a beautiful covered veranda where there are worn wooden tables set against the window screens. Looking at these communal spaces I couldn’t help but think of the legacy of the many art students of more than 100 years who have eaten, played, and painted here at these same places I will sit. The kitchen is filled with old tables and various styles of chairs that were all painted different colors and have been worn away with time. There is communal eating of the most delicious and healthy food served buffet style. My favorite so far has been the crab cakes and green goodness salad dressing. The conversations that happen during eating are normally related to art and life and the philosophy of both. The students here are not only from SAIC but also all around the nation and of all different ages. I feel quite honored to walk these streets and share the scenic views of all those that have witnessed them before me and with me. Moki and I share the most whimsical and quaint room I have ever seen. It is yet another one of those dreams that I actually get to live! Our roommate conversations are so beautiful and I find myself being completely inspired by her love for others. I believe that Moki got this great love from her parents who so kindly gave me a ride and bought me lunch all without really ever knowing who I was. Their complete kindness made me think of fully consecrating yourself to doing all good possible to those that you are surrounded by. The slow river is only about 50 yards away from where we are staying. Today I watched the colors of the sunset reflect in majestic rays over the water and slowly fade, all in which happened while having a conversation with another classmate about sincerity in art making and knowing yourself as an artist. The conversations that I have had here have been so rich and impactful that I find myself hanging on every word trying to memorize sentences and phrases. Already I feel completely connected to the other 12 people in my class. There are not many other things that bring people so close together and fast as does performance art. For example today we were given an assignment to be silent while hiking as a group and to think about your body in connection to the surrounded space, the rhythms that are inherent in the surroundings, sounds, and material intersection. While trapesing along the foliage path of large trees their pure bright green of leafs being back lit by the sun I was completely enchanted with the forest. Prior to this trip I had fantasied about making performance work in the deep green forests and was fulfilled when my expectations were completely met. After reaching the river we swam across, everyone floating along with their Ziploc bags of shoes and valuables. Once to the other side we pushed our feet through the sand dunes beside the blooming meadow and over to Lake Michigan. Making our way to the lake I thought of our group as a piece of yarn or rope; each of us containing our own line of backgrounds, experiences, personalities and yet coming together forming a whole created through layers and relations. The lake was incredible as always. Jill was the first to run directly into the lake and everyone continued after her. I didn’t follow the group but rather ran north running in between the tide. It was completely freeing to be so close with the water and land. Feeling the sand squish in between my toes with the each impact of pressure. Once far enough away I decided to lie, feet first in the tide and to just let the wave flow across my body whether it be gentle or aggressive. I felt a distinct pull to get up but instead I lay there sinking into the sand imprinting my body on the earths face. I thought of being between two worlds in a place of the liminal and letting go, being in the tide. We got disoriented on our way back and we had to bypass through the muddy riverbank. It was completely enjoyable to get lost with this group of people-IT WAS AN ADVENTURE! We created work in our studio and I was again reminded at how much I love working with my hands. It makes me feel like I am in a different world and it is only me and the object residing there in-as cheesy as that my sound. Thoughts that I have had while here are: Is everyone in a state of brokenness? Can a place have the power to heal, change, or free you? What does it mean to be repaired? Or to have the power to repair? How can conversations be considered art? What does it mean to make accessible art? How can you come to evaluate your practice and come to know yourself as an artist? Listening as performance- Listening as a means of connection, power, understanding. Spirit and body-the weight therein

No comments:

Post a Comment